The council has a public sector equality duty. It requires us to consider how the decisions we make and the services we deliver affect people who share a ‘protected characteristic’ differently.
To do this, we must show how we have worked to:
- Eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation and any other behaviour prohibited by or under the Equality Act;
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a relevant protected characteristic and those who do not;
- Foster good relations between people who share a relevant protected characteristic and those who do not.
The public sector equality duty requires us to :
- Publish equality information
- Publish equality objectives
- Publish gender pay gap information
To do this we have a statutory requirement to publish equality information and develop equality objectives.