Skip to main content

Advice for consumers

If you require advice on buying goods and services or wish to report an incident to Trading Standards, please call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0345 404 0506, or visit the Citizens Advice website - Consumer section.

Product recalls

The Chartered Trading Standards Institute website lists products which have been recalled by manufacturers because they could cause injury or illness.

All items listed on the product recalls list should not be opened or consumed, and should be returned to the retailer for a full refund.


Scams come in all shapes and sizes – from doorstep rogue traders selling dodgy driveways, to email and postal scams with non-existent lottery wins that demand payment up front.

Find out about types of scam and how to spot them at the Citizens Advice website section on scams.

If you know of a scam or have been victim of one, please report it to Trading Standards.                   

Loan sharks

People who loan money without being authorized by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) are known as loan sharks.

They charge very high rates of interest and don’t give you much paperwork to confirm the arrangements they have made with you.

Loan sharks often take illegal action to collect the money they have lent you such as threatening violence.

For more information on how to check if a lender is authorised, and on what to do if you owe money to a loan shark, visit the Citizens Advice website section on loan sharks.

Buy With Confidence scheme for consumers

In response to concerns about rogue traders, a partnership of local authority trading standards services put together the Buy With Confidence scheme.

It provides consumers with businesses who have been vetted and approved to ensure that they operate in a legal, honest and fair way.

Doorstep crime

Crimes can occur on the doorstep such as distraction burglary when traders call unannounced with the intention of selling goods.

Don’t deal with people who cold call at your door step trying to sell goods.

If you need work done on your property find a trader who has been checked and approved by the Buy With Confidence scheme.

On this page