Food safety and standards

We are responsible for the regulation of food safety in a wide range of businesses within Bedford Borough; from corner shops and takeaways, to large supermarkets, hotels and manufacturers. 

Food businesses must register with us before opening, and can contact us at for advice and guidance. The Food Standards Agency website offers a range of advice and guidance for businesses and industry.

We also provide advice to consumers who have questions or problems with food issues.

Our main areas of activity are:

  • food hygiene and standards inspections / interventions
  • dealing with complaints about food and food businesses
  • investigating possible cases of food poisoning 
  • promoting food safety

Eating out and ordering a takeaway with a food allergy

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has launched the #SpeakUpForAllergies campaign encouraging young people with food allergies to speak to takeaways before they order food.

See the FSA website for advice on managing food allergies when ordering a takeaway.

Natasha’s Law

The law on food allergen labelling will change from 1st October 2021. Food businesses will be required to label food packaged and sold on their premises with a full list of ingredients, with allergenic ingredients emphasised within the list.

To help food businesses prepare for the change, the Food Standards Agency hosted a webinar for businesses here:  PPDS food labelling webinar for UK food businesses | Food Standards Agency.

Go to the Food Standards Agency website for more information on the upcoming changes.

Advice on the Trade Co-operation Agreement with the EU

The new Trade Co-operation Agreement (TCA) between the UK and the EU came into force on 31 December 2020. Businesses need to be aware of the new regulations and required paperwork for the movement of goods to and from the UK and the EU.

To help you organise your business to comply with the new rules, a range of information and guidance about regulatory compliance and implications for your business has been produced by the Government.

There is also specific guidance for food and drink businesses.  

You can also keep up to date as the Government provides further information regarding terms of the exit from the EU.