We are responsible for protecting the health and welfare of livestock across Bedford Borough and we enforce a wide range of legislation relating to the keeping of livestock.
Our work covers:
- the prevention and monitoring of animal diseases such as Avian Influenza, Foot and Mouth, Bluetongue, BSE and Rabies
- identification, movement and record keeping of livestock
- the disposal of dead animals and other animal by-products
- animal feed and food hygiene
We use a number of methods to deliver our duties including:
- visits to farms and abattoirs
- checking farm records by postal recall
- reacting to complaints
- inspecting livestock vehicles in transit
We actively investigate any serious breach of legislation and deal with many complaints and referrals each year, taking appropriate and proportionate enforcement action against offenders.