Brexit transition period
We are responsible for protecting the health and welfare of livestock across Bedford Borough and we enforce a wide range of legislation relating to the keeping of livestock.
Our work covers:
- the prevention and monitoring of animal diseases such as Avian Influenza, Foot and Mouth, Bluetongue, BSE and Rabies
- identification, movement and record keeping of livestock
- the disposal of dead animals and other animal by-products
- animal feed and food hygiene
We use a number of methods to deliver our duties including:
- visits to farms and abattoirs
- checking farm records by postal recall
- reacting to complaints
- inspecting livestock vehicles in transit
We actively investigate any serious breach of legislation and deal with many complaints and referrals each year, taking appropriate and proportionate enforcement action against offenders.
Farm advice and support
We provide information and advice about animal health and welfare to farmers and those who own livestock.
Please send us your questions or concerns to email@example.com.
Advice is also available from: