The Government announced in the Budget on 3 March 2021 an extension to the current Retail Relief discount scheme for occupied retail assessments.
Eligible businesses will receive 100% relief for the period 1 April 2021 to 30 June 2021. This will then reduce to 66% for the period 1 July 2021 to 31 March 2022.
There will however be a cap on the amount of relief any one business can receive across all of its assessments.
- £2 million per business for properties that were required to close on the 5 January 21
- £105,000 per business for other eligible properties
Who will qualify?
Assessments that are wholly or mainly being used as
i. as shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinemas and live music venues,
ii. For assembly and leisure; or
iii. As hotels, guest & boarding premises and self-catering accommodation,
Who will not qualify?
Assessments that are wholly or mainly being used for the following services to visiting members of the public
- Financial services (e.g. banks, building societies, cash points, bureaux de change, short-term loan providers)
- Medical services (e.g. vets, dentists, doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors)
- Professional services (e.g. solicitors, accountants, insurance agents/ financial advisers)
- Post office sorting offices
- Assessments that are not reasonably accessible to visiting members of the public
Further information regarding eligibility criteria and the Cash Cap can be located at GOV.UK, Business rates: expanded retail discount 2021 to 2022 - local authority guidance
Bedford Council will have awarded discounts to businesses that qualify. If you haven’t been given a discount but think you may qualify you can apply below.
You can also opt out of the scheme if you no longer want to receive the relief or believe you exceed the cash cap
How to apply or opt out of the scheme
The easiest and quickest way to apply or opt out of the scheme is to do it online. You can register for an online account and upload your application or contact us using your citizen account. Alternatively, you can upload your application without registration.
Register for a Business Rates account
You can now register for an online Business Rates account which will allow you to:
- view your up to date account information
- check your balance, payments and bills
- switch to paperless billing
- update your contact details
to register for an online account you will need your account number as it appears on your Business Rates bill or recovery notice, plus one of the items from the following:
- The postcode for your business property
- The last 3 digits of a telephone number you have already registered with us
- The last 3 digits of your bank account number if you pay by Direct Debit
You can also use the registration process to let us know if you would like to switch to paperless billing.
Sign in to your online Business Rates account
If you already have an online Business Rates account you can sign-in here:
Upload a document online
You can now upload documents online (e.g. lease agreement) relating to your Business Rates. You will need to provide your property postcode, your Business Rates account number as it appears on your latest bill or recovery notice and a way to contact you (phone number or email address).