A claim for child benefit or universal credit during the COVID recovery period, can be made prior to the birth being registered, where this had not been done because of these measures.
No penalty will be incurred for births not registered within the statutory 42 day period.
If you reside in Central Bedfordshire you may wish to contact Central Bedfordshire Council Registration Service to complete a “declaration” of your baby's birth, which they will post to us.
Book an appointment to register a birth
Unfortunately, due to overwhelming demand for appointments, we have had to re-introduce a restriction. Birth appointments will therefore be available only for those babies born up to 17 October 2020. Please check this webpage regularly as it will be updated to show when services offered have changed or resumed.
We are releasing birth registration appointments only 1 -2 weeks ahead so if no appointments are available please check our website regularly as more appointments will be made available within a few days.
Using our online system is the quickest way to book an appointment:
If no appointments are available please check our website again frequently as whilst Covid-19 restrictions are in force we are releasing birth registration appointments only 1-2 weeks ahead so more appointments will be made available within a few days.
If the parents require a translator please email us in the first instance at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- The names of both parents and a contact telephone number for each.
- The name, address and telephone number of the person who will translate for you.
- Confirm whether the parents are in a legally recognized marriage or civil partnership.
- Confirm whether one parent or both require a translator.
- Baby's date of birth, and where baby was born.
A registrar will telephone you within 5 working days to arrange an appointment for the parent(s) and translator(s) to attend.
Appointments may take up 30 minutes. Please be on time for your appointment. If you are late we may not be able to see you and you will have to make another appointment.
All Council buildings/premises in the Borough of Bedford require visiting members of the public to wear face coverings in line with Government guidance concerning mandatory face coverings in some enclosed public spaces, eg shops, supermarkets, public transport and hospitals (taking account of defined exceptions).
This measure does not replace social distancing and other control measures which are still required and are in place in all buildings/settings where employees and customers come into contact.
Your confirmation email will include: your booking reference number, date, time and location of your appointment, and what you need to bring.
Venue: The Temporary Offices for Bedford Register Office at:
The Harpur Suite
Please note that the Harpur Suite is next to Bedford Central Library. Access is at the front of the building via the steps or a ramp.
- During the current pandemic, appointments are offered on the basis that the parent(s) attend without baby and/or other children.
- Please do not arrive early, but do be prompt for your appointment. If you are late you will not be seen and will need to telephone to make another appointment or re-book online.
- Your appointment may take up to 30 minutes. There will be an interval between appointments for hygiene measures to be completed.
- Please be aware that your appointment may be cancelled at short notice, due to localised lock-downs or staff shortages, possibly on the day of the appointment.
- Please note there are no toilet facilities available at The Harpur Suite.
- If either parent is in the shielded group, or you have no one to look after the baby and/or other children due to current Public Health guidance, you will need to book an appointment for a later date.
- If you start to display coronavirus symptoms, or are told by the Test and Trace service to self-isolate, you must call us and postpone your appointment. Please have your booking reference to hand.
Who can register a birth
- If the biological parents were married or formed a civil partnership with each other before the baby was born, either parent may register the birth on their own ad we ask that only one parent attends.
- If the biological parents were not married or formed a civil partnership with each other before the baby was born, both parents will need to attend the appointment for the father’s name to be included in the registration. If either biological parent cannot attend please email us at email@example.com
- For same sex couples it may be possible to have both names appear on the certificate.
- If none of the above applies please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org before booking an appointment.
During the pandemic period no penalty will be incurred for births not registered within the statutory 42 days (6 weeks)
Baby should not be brought to the appointment whilst covid-19 restrictions are in force.
What the registrar will ask you
- The date, place and time of the birth (the time will only be included if the baby is one of a multiple birth - twins, triplets etc).
- Whether the baby is a boy or a girl.
- The full forenames and surname by which the baby is to be brought up.
- The full forenames and surname, and any other names currently or formerly used by the father or parent (where the father or parents' details are to be entered in the register).
- Date and place of birth of the father or parent.
- Occupation of the father or parent at the time of the baby’s birth (or previous occupation if not currently employed).
- The full forenames and surname, and any other names currently or formerly used by the mother, including maiden surname.
- Date and place of birth of the mother.
- Occupation or previous occupation of the mother.
- Date of marriage or civil partnership if applicable.
- The address or addresses of the baby's parents.
- The number of previous children by the mother.
It will be helpful if you can bring documents with you to confirm the above information, although this is not essential
Register a stillbirth
If you need to register a stillbirth please do not book online. Please telephone 01234 276008 and ask to speak to a Registrar who can talk you through the process.
You can also email us on email@example.com
Order a birth certificate copy
You can request a copy of a birth certificate copy here.
Please do not apply here for a certificate for a birth which has not yet been registered
Standard postage delivery only, no collection. We are not offering any priority service.
Please be aware that our certificate application service may be withdrawn without notice.
Request a copy of a birth certificate
Other types of certificates
Making changes to the record or certificate
You can correct some information on a birth certificate: