Bedford Borough Council has opportunities for individuals who are flexible, motivated and passionate about providing high-quality care and supporting older people to live enriched and meaningful lives.
From 11 November 2021, all staff working in our care homes must be vaccinated with a full course of a COVID-19 vaccination, unless medically exempt.
You can apply to become a Care Assistant at any time.
Starting salary is £18,562 pro rata per annum (£9.62 per hour)
Care homes in Bedford Borough
Our six care homes are based in Bedford and Kempston:
- Southway, London Road, Bedford: residential community for people living with dementia
- Highfield, Avon Drive, Brickhill, Bedford: residential community for older people
- Puttenhoe, Putnoe Street, Putnoe, Bedford: residential community for older people and people living with dementia
- Brookside, High Street, Kempston: residential community for older people living with a learning disability
- Parkside, Bedford Road, Kempston: residential community for older people
- Rivermead, Halsey Road, Kempston: residential community for people living with dementia
Working as a care assistant
As a member of the Care Team you will provide care to the highest standard in accordance with the needs of the resident as assessed and planned.
Care assistants support the physical and emotional needs of residents to enable them to maintain maximum independence in a safe environment.
All care assistants will be required to work alternate weekends, some evenings, and public holidays.
Shifts are split between day shifts which cover the period from 7am to 9:30pm, and night shifts which cover 9pm to 7:30am.
Day shifts are usually seven hours and will either be early shifts (between the hours 7am and 2:30pm) or late shifts (between the hours 2pm and 9:30pm). Staff will work a mix of both early and late shifts.
If you are unable to commit to a shift pattern, we are also looking for Bank staff to work at our care homes. You can select this on the application form.
Important information to read before you apply
- Individual care homes do not have application forms for collection, if you require further information please contact the recruitment team at Recruitment.firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will do our best to accommodate preferences for hours and/or location, but cannot guarantee that posts will be available.
- Successful applicants will be required to apply for a enhanced DBS check.
- This role requires the post holder to be vaccinated with the complete course of a COVID-19 vaccine, unless medically exempt. You will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or medical exemption if you are invited to an interview.
- If you are not currently vaccinated, but intend to have the vaccine, you may still apply for the role but will not be able to start until evidence of full vaccination or medical exemption is provided.
How to apply
- Download job description and selection criteria (PDF)
- Download application form (Word)
Please do not submit a paper application form at the current time as we cannot guarantee it will be processed. Electronic applications sent in by email will be processed as normal. Thank you for your understanding.