It is a criminal offence to try avoid paying Council Tax by giving false information to the Council or by not telling the Council about any changes that might affect how much Council Tax is due.
- providing false or incorrect information when applying for Council Tax support
- claiming a Single Person discount when other adults are living at the property
- claiming a Student discount or exemption when not enrolled on a course of full-time education or not declaring non-students are resident at the property
- giving false information to claim a discount, exemption or other reduction
- not telling the Council when a discount or other reduction should be cancelled
The Council takes Council Tax fraud very seriously and will investigate any suspected case of fraud. Where fraud is proven the Council will take action against the person committing fraud. This can include prosecuting offenders.
All reports of suspected Council Tax fraud are treated with the strictest confidence and you do not have to give your name when reporting a suspected fraud.
You can report suspected Council Tax fraud to the Council's Fraud Team online using the form below:
Or via telephone on 0800 917 8491.