Skip to main content

Financial help for residents

We understand that many residents may have a lower income at the moment due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. We want to help local residents who are struggling financially because of this.

Financial assistance may be available to you whether you have never claimed benefits before, or if your current benefits are no longer enough.

Test and Trace Support Payments

Test and Trace Support Payments are designed to help people on low income who cannot work from home and will lose income if required to self isolate. Find out if you are eligible here.

Difficulty paying any Council bill or invoice

Please contact us if you are unable to pay any money owed to the Council - we may be able to help. 

Residents on the lowest income already do not pay any Council Tax due to our Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

  • If your circumstances have changed and you think you are now eligible for Council Tax Support, please tell us by going to our Council Tax Support page to claim online.
  • If you are having immediate difficulty paying your Council Tax bill please get in touch with our trained advisors who will be able to help. Telephone us on 01234 718097.

At this crucial time it’s very important that those who can pay their Council Tax continue to pay as normal to support the important services in our community. Council services are under huge pressure, working to deliver care for the vulnerable and elderly, and keeping vital day-to-day operations running.

Free school meals 

Your child may qualify for free school meals if you receive certain benefits.

Universal Credit

If you are getting less work or no work at all due to Coronavirus pandemic (including if you are self employed) you can apply online for Universal Credit.

Problems affording your rent

If a lower income means you cannot pay your rent then you may be able to receive help with the cost through Universal Credit.

Other welfare benefits

See more information from the Government about other types of welfare benefits.

Free advice about money management, dealing with debts, claiming benefits and more

Bedford Citizens Advice can offer free and confidential help with managing your money, dealing with debts and a wide range of other advice.

Visit Bedford Citizens Advice or phone 01234 867944.

Crisis or emergency

if you are on a low income and have an unexpected crisis or an emergency the Council may be able to help with a crisis grant.