Information on a range of communication services that are designed to benefit older and disabled people is available from Ofcom.
- Access to an approved text relay service for people who are hearing- or speech-impaired, with rebates to compensate customers for the additional time taken by these calls. Relay users type their message into a textphone, which transmits the message to the relay centre. The relay operator voices the message to a hearing user who replies in speech. The relay operator types the reply which appears on the textphone’s display screen.
- Free directory enquiries for consumers who are unable to use a printed directory because of a disability, with through-connection of calls
- Priority fault repair (fixed line only) for customers who depend on the telephone because of ill-health or disability and have an urgent need for a repair
- Third party bill management, enabling a nominated friend or relative to act on behalf of someone who needs help to manage their affairs
- Bills and contracts in formats such as large print and Braille on request
You need to register in advance for some of these services – please contact your communications provider for information about how to do this.