Skip to main content

Accessing your social care records

We keep information to help us make decisions about the service provided to you and to plan future services.

This information may also be a help to those who have received services in the past and wish to look back at what was happening in that period of their life.

How to apply to see your records

To see your own personal care files, please use Access to Children Services Records - BIC807 (Word)

If you are a parent seeking to access your children’s file please use Access to Children Social Care Records - Parent accessing files -  BIC807b (Word).

This only applies to children under the age of 12. Anyone over this age owns their own records and you will need written permission and a contact telephone for that person in order for us to verify with them that you have permissions to see their data.

Please ensure you supply all the identification required, as the calendar month statutory processing timeline does not start until we receive this.

What kind of information we keep

Everyone who receives a service from us will have some type of record kept.

Different information is kept depending on the reason for your contact with us. This will include:

  • basic information such as your name, address, next of kin
  • details of any contact you have with a social worker
  • copies of any assessments or plans we have made with you
  • decisions made about you will be recorded, including reasons why the decisions were made
  • any letters or information from any other professionals involved

In line with GDPR, we will retain your completed form and ID for 7 years for ICO audit - after which time it will be deleted. We do not pass this info to anyone else.

This leaflet explains how to access your child social care records which we may hold about you Applying to see your Child Social Care Records (PDF).