The Virtual School exists to support and challenge all those involved in the education of children in care. We work in close collaboration with colleagues across the authority and track educational progress, while supporting and monitoring work with children and young people in care.
We are not a teaching tool or environment and the virtual school does not replace the school or educational provision of children in care.
All children in our care, from the age of 2 to 16 and who are in education post-16 (up to the age of 18), are monitored by Bedford Borough’s Virtual School.
At the Virtual School our role is to:
- promote high aspiration and raise achievement through challenge, support and targeted intervention
- ensure that children in care access high quality teaching and learning
- work closely with all those involved in the care and education of looked after children providing training and support to help understand the issues and challenges they face
- co-ordinate and quality assure all Personal Education Plans (PEPs)
- monitor and challenge schools to make the most effective use of Pupil Premium Plus Grant (PPPG)
- ensure effective transition is provided between schools or specialist providers
- ensure Special Education Needs or Disability needs are identified and supported appropriately with an integrated plan
- celebrate LAC achievements
- lead training for Foster Carers, Designated Teachers, school governors and bespoke training for educational settings and staff in schools
You contact the Virtual School at: email@example.com