If you have chosen for your child to attend a school which is not eligible for free transport, we have no statutory requirement to provide school transport.
In some cases the Privilege Pass Scheme may be an option for you. The scheme offers the opportunity to purchase a pass to travel on certain school bus services contracted by us if there are surplus seats available.
The following criteria will apply:
- Spare seats on our bus services are very limited and cannot be guaranteed; you should not rely on the privilege scheme as the only way to transport your child to school.
- Additional transport will not be provided to accommodate non eligible students neither will existing transport be diverted to service a non-entitled area.
- Additional vehicle stops will not be added to existing school routes to service no eligible students. Privilege students will be expected to make their way to and from the existing boarding/departing designated stops.
- Privilege passes cannot be used on public transport routes or train services.
- We are not able to offer passes for part time attendance. There will be no reduction in cost to accommodate travel on occasional days
The cost of a Privilege Pass for the 2018/19 academic year is £891. For low income families residing in Bedford Borough, there may be a reduction in the fee. There is no reduction for siblings travelling.
We will only process privilege pass applications when all children entitled to free transport, have been allocated to a service. This means that your application may not be processed until after the start of term and we cannot offer any refunds for transport you arrange whilst you wait to hear if your application is successful.
If your child is issued with a pass, we are still entitled to withdraw it. This may happen if:
- The seat is needed for a child entitled to free transport
- Your child has demonstrated poor behaviour or has compromised safety on the vehicle.
- If the bus service changes part way through the term
If the pass is withdrawn, you will be informed as soon as possible and given a refund on a pro-rata basis.
Please click on the link below to view the full terms and conditions and apply for a privilege pass for the 2018/19 academic year.