Music for Bedford Borough is the lead organisation of the Bedford Music Hub. We work closely with a number of partners (including schools and local music organisations) to enable all young people to access a high quality music education and to make available a number of musical pathways and progression routes. Through Arts Council funding, Music Education Hubs are supported to deliver the requirements of the National Plan for Music Education. These are:
- Ensure that every child aged 5-18 has the opportunity to learn a musical instrument (other than voice) through whole class ensemble teaching programmes for ideally a year (but for a minimum for a term) of weekly tuition on the same instrument.
- Provide opportunities to play in ensembles and to perform from an early stage.
- Ensure that clear progression routes are available and affordable to all young people.
- Develop a singing strategy to ensure that every pupil sings regularly and that choirs and other ensembles are available in the area.
- Offer CPD to school staff, particularly in supporting schools to deliver music in the curriculum.
- Provide an instrument loan service, with discounts or free provision for those on low incomes.
- Provide access to large scale and or/high quality music experiences for pupils, working with professional musicians and/or venues. This may include undertaking work to publicise the opportunities available to schools, parents/carers and students.
A new Bedford Music Hub website has been created to provide a central source of information on all the exciting musical opportunities on offer to children and young people in Bedford Borough. It brings together the incredible work of all partner organisations of our Music Education Hub. To find out how to start learning an instrument or how to get involved in musical activities both in and out of school please visit: Bedford Music Hub.
Contact Music for Bedford Borough
Tel: 01234 718 088
Music for Bedford Borough
Castle Newnham School