Community involvement is an important part of the process of considering planning applications and other types of consent and preparing local plans and other planning policy documents, including neighbourhood plans. The Statement of Community Involvement sets out how the Council will involve people in the planning process. Involving communities:
- Helps to establish agreement about future development in the borough.
- Allows communities to influence planning decisions that shape the local area.
- Enables those that may be affected by a proposed development or plan to express their views before decisions are made.
The council published an update to the Statement of Community Involvement in 2013. Since then there have been a number of changes to national legislation and regulations which means that parts of the document are now out of date.
Therefore the Statement of Community Involvement is being updated again to take on board national changes to planning policies and procedures and to revise contact details. References have also been made to the council’s digital operating model, new consultation channels and GDPR.
The revised Statement for Community Involvement 2019 is available for public consultation and your comments are invited. The document is available below and at borough libraries and the Customer Service Centre, Horne Lane, Bedford during their normal opening hours.
The consultation will end on 25th July 2019 at 5pm. Please note that all comments will be made available in public documents.
Ideally please complete the online form which can be found below. Completion of the form ensures the Council has all of the information needed to process your comments.
Otherwise please either complete the form as a word document and email it to
Or send a copy of your completed form by post to:
Planning Policy Team, Bedford Borough Council
Room 415, Borough Hall
The Statement of Community Involvement 2013 informs local communities of how and when they can get involved in the planning process. The updated document also takes account of simplified publicity and consultation procedures for local plans, new types of documents that the council must consult on and the neighbourhood planning process. It was adopted by the council’s Executive on 10th July 2013.
- Statement of Community Involvement 2013 (Important: Bedford Borough planning document database upgrade on weekend 5 - 6 July 2019. Please be aware that you will not be able to access this document during 5 and 6 July. Make sure you download a copy before 5 and 6 July. We plan to be back up again by Mon 7 July.)
- Schedule of Representations Received and the Council's Responses (Important: Bedford Borough planning document database upgrade on weekend 5 - 6 July 2019. Please be aware that you will not be able to access this document during 5 and 6 July. Make sure you download a copy before 5 and 6 July. We plan to be back up again by Mon 7 July.)
- Equality Analysis
The adopted Statement of Community Involvement 2013 can also be viewed at all libraries in the borough and the council's Customer Service Centre at 2 Horne Lane, Bedford.
Minerals and waste service
A separate Statement of Community Involvement sets out the approach to the consultation on Minerals and Waste plans and planning applications.