Skip to main content

Planning enforcement

Step 1: are works controlled by planning?

Check whether the works are controlled by the planning department. 

Matters not dealt with by planning (PDF)

Step 2: are the works permitted development?

Permitted development means that certain developments can be built without the need for full planning permission.

Flats do not benefit from permitted development, so all development, including replacement windows, require a planning application. 

Use the planning portal's interactive house website to see if it has permitted development.

Step 3: has a planning application been submitted?

Before completing the form, check whether a planning application has been submitted. If it has, please also check the plans.

For information on how to conduct a search, including using the map, please refer to our series of 'how to' guides.

Search the map by address or postcode for planning applications.

Planning applications search

Step 4: make an enforcement complaint

Please note: we do not investigate anonymous requests.

Do not use this form for any other planning enquiries or matters not relating to planning, as explained in Step 1.

More information on planning enquiries.

Planning enforcement investigation form    

What happens next?

Once the form has been submitted and checked, an officer will investigate. If planning permission is needed for the development we will normally write to the occupier of the property and invite them to make a planning application within a suitable timescale.

If planning permission is not needed we will notify the person reporting the matter (usually in writing) and explain why.

In cases where planning permission is needed but not applied for the Council will decide whether to serve an enforcement notice.

View the planning enforcement plan (PDF).

For all other enforcement queries, including what happens if you receive an Enforcement Notice, visit Planning frequently asked questions.

High hedge complaints

Before you can make a formal application about a high hedge, you must have tried and exhausted all other avenues for resolving your hedge dispute with your neighbour.

Making an application to the council should be the last option.

High hedges are dealt with under Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 which came into operation in England on the 1 June 2005.

For more about high hedges on the planning portal.

Use the high hedge form (PDF) to make a formal complaint. 

On this page