Skip to main content

Any person who intends to carry out the demolition of a building or part of a building must send the Building Control Department a Section 80 Notice (Word, 100KB) unless:

  • The building volume is less then 50m3
  • The demolition is of an internal part of an occupied building, which is intended to remain occupied
  • The building is a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage
  • Its an agricultural building, unless it is connected to another building that is not an agricultural building
  • Its in pursuance of a demolition order under the Housing Act 1985

You must also send a copy of the Notice to:

  • The occupier of any building adjacent to the building being demolished
  • The gas supplier in whose authorised area the building is situated
  • The electricity supplier in whose authorised area the building is situated

You must not start any demolition work:

  • Until six weeks after you have submitted the notice to us, or
  • Until you have received our notice, known as a Section 81 Notice

Our Section 81 Notice will impose conditions that must be adhered to. These conditions are to protect public safety and make sure the site of any demolition is left in an acceptable state.

You may also need Planning permission for the demolition. Further information can be obtained by contacting Development Services

Contact Building Control


Tel: 01234 718081

Building Control
Bedford Borough Council
Borough Hall
Cauldwell Street
MK42 9AP