We regularly apply for government funding to enable us to carry out transport improvements that otherwise would not be affordable.
All bids to government are made in a competitive environment with other local authorities for a fixed amount of funding. Government ministers decide which schemes they will support and which ones they won’t.
The recent bids we have made are as follows:
Opening local authority transport data
The Department for Transport launched a competition to help local authorities share key transport data The aim is to help local authorities make transport and travel smarter by opening and sharing their data to improve safely, efficiency, and emissions
- Bedford’s bid can be found here (PDF)
- Appendix 3 - Letter of support from South East Midlands Local Enterprise Partnership (PDF)
The Government has launched a competitive fund for Local Transport Authorities to bid for a share of £60m over three years starting in 2017. The fund is aimed at supporting sustainable transport projects which demonstrate strong support for cycling and walking.
‘Travel Bedford’ is Bedford Borough Council’s bid which sets out to support the investment the Borough has made in cycling and pedestrian infrastructure by promoting Bedford and Kempston’s many cycling routes.
There are three distinct strands to the bid.
- Firstly to encourage cycling by residents of the new housing developments around the town, particularly those who may be new to the area.
- Also to encourage people in existing residential areas to think about cycling and walking to work, training or educational establishments.
- Finally, the bid will support all school children across the Borough to take part in the Bike It programme and increase their skills and knowledge of cycling as they transition through the school system.
The results of the funding competition will be announced later in the year. You can view the bid here (PDF).
Promoting walking, cycling and bus use to the Midland Mainline train stations
We supported a bid in conjunction with Central Bedfordshire and Luton Borough to promote walking, cycling and bus use to the Midland Main Line train stations in Bedfordshire. See more details on the Luton Council website.
Pinch Point Fund – Bedford Western Bypass
Cycle Safety Scheme
A bid was submitted for funding to improve safety and convenience for all road users at the Clapham Road / Union Street roundabout (Word, 625KB). The bid was successful and we are currently developing the proposed scheme (PDF).
Local Sustainable Transport Fund (LSTF)
Together with Sustrans, the national sustainable transport charity, we submitted a bid to improve access to the railway stations (PDF) in Bedford. This bid was successful and improvements are being made.