For the February half term break, Bedford Borough Council will continue to provide supermarket vouchers to thousands of families who are entitled to income related free school meals.
Over 6,650 children in the Borough will benefit as £15 vouchers, funded through the Household Support Fund, will be issued for the half term holiday.
Cllr Michael Headley, Portfolio Holder for Finance and Welfare said, “We will continue providing support to families during the half term break by offering supermarket vouchers to families entitled to income related free school meals. The Council is committed to offering this support to help alleviate the cost of living crisis that so many people are facing. If you feel that you may be eligible, please visit the council website to apply. ”
Children are eligible for the vouchers if their family receives one of the benefits listed below and have applied for free school meals:
- Universal Credit - with an annual earned income of no more than £7,400 after tax
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for the four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit) with an annual gross income of no more than £16,190
- Early Years Pupil Premium
- Two Year Old Funding
Families with eligible children will receive their vouchers as they have previously, via an email or through their school or setting’s usual distribution process. This will be through provider, Edenred.
If your child attends an Early Years Setting or nursery class and is eligible for Early Years Pupil Premium or Two Year Old Funding, parents/carers will receive one voucher at Easter that will cover both the February half term and the Easter holiday periods.
The Council and Bedford Borough schools are encouraging more families to register and apply for free school meals, so that they begin to receive the support they need.
To find out if you are eligible and to register for free school meals visit www.bedford.gov.uk/schools-education-and-childcare/education-welfare-service/free-school-meals/