Skip to main content

Personal Licences

Anyone who plans to sell or supply alcohol or to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol must apply for a personal licence. Before applying for a personal licence you will need to have obtained a Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders. A list of accredited providers is available at the following link - list of accredited providers of the Personal Licence qualification

Please click on the links below to download forms for a Personal Licence application

Section 36 of, and Schedule 4 to the Immigration Act 2016 (the 2016 Act) amend the 2003 Act to provide that in England and Wales:

Premises licences to sell alcohol or provide late night refreshment and personal licences cannot be issued to an individual who does not have permission to be in the UK, or is not entitled to undertake work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity.

Please refer to the guidance notes for each individual applications.

Pay for a personal licence

Personal licence qualification providers

Personal licence renewal

Please note that there is no requirement to renew your Personal Licence if the expiry date is after 1st May 2015.

However if your personal details have changed since your Personal Licence was issued, there is a requirement to inform the issuing Local Authority of these changes.

The fee payable on a change of address or name application is £10.50 and you will be required to return both parts of your original Personal Licence.

DBS Basic Disclosure - apply online

To apply for a Basic Disclosure application Online, please visit The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) for details.

Personal Licence in more detail

Licence Summary

The purpose of Personal Licences under the Licensing Act 2003 is to license individuals to supply or authorise the supply of alcohol in accordance with a premises licence under the same Act. A Personal Licensee may also submit up to 50 Temporary Event Notices in each calendar year for the supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment or late night refreshments other than under the terms of a Premises Licence.

Eligibility Criteria

The Licensing Authority must grant a personal Licence to someone who is:

  • Aged 18 or over
  • Has the right to work in the UK
  • Possesses a defined licensing qualification (eg BIIAB’s NCPLH)
  • Not someone who has already forfeited a personal licence in the past five years.
  • Not someone convicted of a relevant offence defined in the 2003 Act or any foreign offence.

Where someone fails in respect of (a), (b) or (c) above, the application will be rejected.  Where an applicant fails in respect of (d) above only the Licensing Authority shall inform the Police who may object within 14 days.  If no objection is received the application will be granted otherwise the matter will be referred to a Licensing Sub-Committee of Councillors who will decide whether to grant or reject the application.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence on the website

Application Evaluation Process

See eligibility criteria above

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact us using the contact details below. The target completion period for processing these applications is 10 working days.

Apply online (You will need Version 9 (or higher) of Adobe Reader)

Online applications not currently available.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact the Licensing Team in the first instance.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact the Licensing Team in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint you should contact the Licensing Authority or if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

Other Redress


Trade Associations


GDPR and Privacy Statements

Contact the Licensing team

Tel: 01234 276934
Fax: 01234 718392

Bedford Borough Council
Licensing Service
Cauldwell Street
Bedford MK42 9AP

On this page