Self-build and custom housebuilding is housing built by individuals, or groups, for their own use, either by building the home on their own or by working with builders.
Self-build and custom housebuilding register
We are required by law to hold a register of people who are interested in self-build and custom housebuilding in Bedford Borough.
This register also includes people wanting to acquire serviced plots of land for self-build and custom housebuilding.
Read more about the self-build and custom housebuilding, legislation and the register:
- Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Regulations 2016
- GOV.UK's self-build and custom housebuilding guidance and register
- Self-build portal helps you choose the right route to your custom or self-build home (you will need to sign up for access to the portal)
We consider the register when carrying out our functions in relation to planning, housing, regeneration and the disposal of any land owned by the Council.
The register is not publicly available.
Qualifying for the register
To be included on the register you (and all the individuals in an association) must be:
- age 18 or over
- a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
- wanting to acquire a serviced plot of land to build a house to occupy as your sole or main home
Apply for inclusion on the register
Email us at email@example.com to apply to be included on the register.
You can apply online to can be made online or by downloading and returning a form to
If you prefer to download the form, print it and return it by post, please send your completed application to The Housing Strategy Team, Bedford Borough Council, Borough Hall, Cauldwell Street, Bedford. MK42 9AP. Please attach a stamp.
Apply as an individual or household for one plot
- Self and Custom Build Register - Individual – apply online
- Self and Custom Build Register - Individual – download application form (Excel)
Apply as an association
- Self and Custom Build Register – Association – apply online
- Self and Custom Build Register – Association – download application form (Excel)
Once we have received your completed application we will consider your application and contact you within 28 days.
If the application is from an association, we will only notify the lead contact as identified in the application.
If you are not eligible for the register we will write to you to explain the reasons for that decision within 28 days of determining the application. If the application is from an association, we will only notify the lead contact as identified in the application.
Please note that registration does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be available.
Updating an entry on register
You can change or remove your details by emailing us firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to the Housing Strategy Team at the address above.