Housing impacts on many areas of everyday life.
To ensure we provide the right housing services to meet local needs and priorities, we produce strategies and action plans. We also consult with members of the local community and our partners to make sure we take their views into account.
Housing strategy 2012-2020
The Housing Strategy 2012-2020 is a detailed assessment of current and future needs within Bedford Borough and is based around the following themes:
- housing needs and the housing market
- the provision of affordable housing and delivery of growth
- making best use of the existing housing stock
- homelessness and meeting the needs of vulnerable people
The strategy identifies a number of key objectives for each of the themes. Working towards these objectives will help us meet the existing and future housing needs of our communities.
- Housing strategy 2012 - 2020 (PDF)
- Strategy review action plan (PDF) updated to include current progress against targets in June 2019
Care and support accommodation strategy
The Housing Strategy 2012-17 committed the Council to preparing an accommodation strategy for vulnerable groups. The overall Care and Support Accommodation Strategy is comprised of four separate strategies, which are:
Learning disabilities accommodation strategy 2017-2022
- Learning disabilities accommodation strategy (PDF).
- Learning disabilities accommodation action plan (Excel) (reviewed in July 2019).
Physical disabilities accommodation strategy
Strategy currently in development.
Mental health accommodation strategy 2018-2023
Older persons’ accommodation strategy 2018-2023
Homelessness strategy 2016-2021
Empty homes strategy 2019-2024
Tenancy strategy 2019-2024
Bedford strategic housing market assessment
We commissioned Opinion Research Services (ORS) to update the Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA) and establish the Objectively Assessed Need (OAN) for housing based on the most up to date information now available.
Private sector housing
Plan currently in development.