Skip to main content

Duty to refer

From 1st October 2018, certain public authorities must notify a local housing authority in England where one of its service users:

  • May be homeless or at risk of homelessness, and
  • Consents to the referral

The following are public authorities with a duty to refer:

  • prisons (public and contracted out)
  • youth offender institutions and youth offending teams
  • secure training centres (public and contracted out) and colleges
  • probation services (community rehabilitation companies and national probation service)
  • jobcentre plus
  • accident and emergency services provided in a hospital
  • urgent treatment centres, and hospitals in their capacity of providing in-patient treatment
  • social service authorities.

For more information please see: Guide to Duty to Refer

To make a referral to us please see below:

Online: Register to use the Alert service 

Complete the: Duty to Refer Referral form (Word, 63KB)


Telephone: 01234 718058