Sustainable Warmth

Applications to the Sustainable Warmth Scheme have now closed. See our energy and water advice page for alternative government schemes and further advice.

Across the UK, many households will see the cost of gas and electricity rise by more than 50% from April 2022 as the energy price cap, the limit on what energy suppliers can charge, increases.

This shift will see many feeling the pinch, but there are changes you can make to try and keep energy costs under control. Energy-saving improvements could make your home more efficient and may help to control rising energy prices in your household.

Some households across the South East may even be eligible for a government grant to fund energy-efficiency work.

Funding to improve energy efficiency in your home

Sustainable Warmth is a new government grant scheme designed to fund energy-efficiency upgrades for residents who are most likely to be impacted by the high cost of rising bills. These improvements will help residents to use less energy and spend less on their energy bills by:  

  • using energy-saving technology and upgrades installed by approved installers
  • creating warmer, healthier homes
  • helping to cut carbon emissions
  • providing funding for homes on and off the gas grid

The energy-efficiency grants will cover a range of energy-saving home improvements designed to balance the needs of residents with carbon reduction and grant availability.

Improvements you can get for your home

Some of the energy and cost-saving upgrades you may be able to get for your home include:

  • insulation and ventilation upgrades
  • an upgrade to a low carbon heating system (the new heating system cannot include a gas or oil boiler)
  • heating Controls
  • solar PV (that generates free electricity)
  • energy Efficient lighting

Grants available


  • For homes connected to the gas grid, the grant is up to £10,000
  • For homes not connected to the gas grid, the grant is on a sliding scale, from £10,000 to £25,000

The amount available depends on the home's Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and the fuel source that currently heats the home. The programme can determine the EPC if it is unknown.

Privately rented properties

To qualify, the tenant must meet the income eligibility and the landlord will need to contribute a minimum of one-third towards the cost of the upgrades, in addition to the grant provided.

  • For privately rented properties connected to the gas grid, the grant is up to £5000
  • For privately rented properties not connected to the gas grid, the grant is on a sliding scale, from £10,000 to £16,666

The exact amount available is dependent on the EPC of the home and the fuel source that heats the home currently. 

If the overall costs exceed the maximum grant available, additional investment by the landlord will be needed.

Costs and the contributions expected from the landlord will be agreed upon before the start of any work.

Grant eligibility 

To be eligible for Sustainable Warmth funding, the following criteria must be met:

  1. The household must be a private domestic dwelling in England with an EPC rating of E, F or G. There is a 30% cap on Band D properties. 

    With high interest in the scheme and a high proportion of D rated properties already put forward, you may be placed on a waiting list if your home is D rated. If your property’s EPC is unknown, it can be determined by the programme.

  2. The household must have either:
  • a household income of no more than £30,000 (before tax or any other deductions) or,
  • a household composition (e.g. number of dependents) which stretches income to a position where they would be in fuel poverty.

Apply for the Sustainable Warmth scheme

The scheme is now closed to private tenants/landlords and homeowners. Applications closed on 31 December 2022.

If you have a question you may find it answered in this FAQ document from City Energy (PDF).

If you would prefer to talk to someone or would like help with your application, please call City Energy’s Customer Care Team on 02921 680951 or email