The Council has four Overview and Scrutiny Committees (OSC) which are:-
- Adult Services and Health
- Children’s Services
- Corporate Services
- Environment and Sustainable Communities
Each committee is made up of seven councillors, who cannot also be members of the Council’s Executive. In addition, Children’s Services OSC has two appointed diocesan representatives and two parent governor representatives.
There is also a separate Budget Scrutiny Committee of 10 councillors which focuses on the Council’s budget planning and preparation.
The Overview and Scrutiny Committees do not have decision-making powers, but are able to make recommendations to the Executive, Council and other local partners about decisions, services and issues of local concern.
The Committees are able to:-
- review or scrutinise decisions or actions taken in respect of any function of the Council, apart from Planning and Licensing decisions;
- make reports or recommendations to the Executive or the Council in respect of any Council services;
- make reports or recommendations to the Executive or the council about matters which affect the Local Authority’s area or its inhabitants;
- require the Mayor, Executive Members and Council Officers to come to an OSC and give evidence or answer questions;
- invite any other person or organisations to attend and give evidence or answer questions.
The Committees are not able to:
- make or implement decisions;
- Act as an alternative to normal appeals procedures, in particular in respect of planning and development control, licensing, registration, consents and other permissions, and cannot therefore become involved in reviewing decisions on individual applications;
- Deal with a complaint against the Council. To do this you will have to follow the Council’s complaints procedure.
In addition there is a Joint Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee which has been set up with Central Bedfordshire to consider the local Bedfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group’s review of local health services.
For further information regarding individual Committees please select the appropriate link from the menu