What we are consulting on?
The Council introduced two Public Spaces Protection Orders (PSPO) in 2016, a PSPO restricting cycling in the town centre of Bedford came into effect on 15th May 2016 for a period of 3 years and a dog control PSPO came in to effect on 27th July 2016 also for 3 years. The dog control order was amended on 22nd November 2017 to include additional areas. PSPOs are intended to deal with a particular nuisance or problem in a particular area that is detrimental to the local community’s quality of life, by imposing conditions on the use of that area which apply to everyone.
The Council’s PSPOs are due to expire in 2019 and the Council is proposing to extend both PSPOs for a further three years. By extending the duration of the PSPOs the Council will be able to continue to take action against those individuals that commit this anti-social behaviour and ensure Bedford is a safe and enjoyable place to live, work and visit.
The PSPO for cycling restricts cyclists from riding bikes through the main pedestrian area of Bedford Town Centre from 9am to 6pm. Further information can be found at Town centre cycling restrictions.
The PSPO for dog control covers four key offences:
- The Dogs Exclusion Order: The effect of the Order is to make it an offence for a person in charge of a dog to permit the dog to enter or remain on any land to which this Order applies.
- The Dogs On Leads Order: The effect of the Order is to make it an offence for a person in charge of a dog to fail to ensure that a dog is kept on a lead on any land to which the Order applies.
- The Dogs On Leads by Direction Order: The effect of the Order is to make it an offence for a person in charge of a dog to fail to put that dog on a lead under the direction of an authorised officer on any land to which the Order applies.
- The Fouling of Land by Dogs Order: The effect of this Order is to make it an offence for a person in charge of a dog to fail to remove faeces forthwith from any land to which the Order applies.
Further information can be found at Dog control orders
This consultation is now closed.
How to have your say
- Complete an online feedback form here: www.forms.bedford.gov.uk/PSPO2019
- Email: email@example.com
- Write to: Consulting Bedford, Borough Hall, Cauldwell Street, Bedford MK42 9AP
We are particularly interested to hear whether you support or oppose our proposals to extend the PSPOs and any comments, ideas or alternative suggestions you may have.
Comments should be received by 26 April and may be published
What happens next
Responses to the consultation will be considered by the Council and a report will be provided to the Mayor for a decision in May 2019. Once a decision has been made the website will be updated accordingly, and if the decision is to proceed with extending the orders then the notices will be published.