Skip to main content

Commons registration

We are responsible for maintaining the registers of common land and town or village greens which members of the public can inspect free of charge.

This currently includes updating the registers when ownership of common rights change, or where rights are apportioned (although the circumstances in which we can amend the registers are limited). We amend the registers when we are notified by the Land Registry of changes in ownership of land and we can amend the registers in some instances to show changes in address.

Normally, a Commons search is carried out when a property is being bought or sold and usually via your solicitor. Search replies will reveal whether land is registered as common or village green, if there are rights of common, and whether or not ownership is registered.

For more information please see the Land Searches section. Commons Registration is administered by the Legal Services department and not Highways and Planning.

This has a charge of £24 + VAT.