Skip to main content

Registration information

All original records of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships for the Bedford Borough area dating back to 1837 are held securely at the Register Office in Bedford. 

Bedford Register Office continually looks for ways to improve their services and would like to hear you views on the service. The survey should only take a few minutes.

From 1 November 2017 all certificates issued at the time of registration will cost £4 each.

Certificates applied for after the date of registration will cost either £7 or £10 each, plus a £2 handling/postage fee, per order. If the registration is recent (last 3 months) please contact us to check the price. This includes Short Birth Certificates.

Certified copies of records: order online

You can order a certified copy of the original record of any entry that we hold.

Please follow the links below to order your chosen certificate using an online form.

You will need to provide certain information to enable us to find the correct record. If you do not have all of the information or you are unsure about the details please make this clear by explaining in the free text boxes of the form. In all cases please ensure that you provide your contact details, in case we have any queries.

Requests are usually processed within 5 working days and certificates are posted out 1st class.

We also offer a priority and express service at an additional charge, please ring 01234 718 028.

If you are unsure where the event occurred please contact the General Register Office.

Records between April 1999 and March 2009

Bedford Borough Council will be unable to provide certificates for events that took place between the 1st of April 1999 and the 31st of March 2009 as Central Bedfordshire Council hold the registers for this period. If your application is in regard to an event that took place within this time frame please contact Central Bedfordshire Council Registration Service on 0300 300 8089 or email

Burial records

Bedford Borough Council Registration Service does not hold records of where people were buried.

Making changes to the record or certificate

If you need to correct the information on a certificate please contact the General Register's Office

Please note if you have married the mother/father since the original registration you must re-register the child by law.

You can also order commemorative marriage certificates to mark an anniversary and research your family history through GOV.UK.