Skip to main content

You may choose to have your civil ceremony at any Register Office in England or Wales or any approved premises in any district in England and Wales, regardless of where you live. Or you may be able to be married in a church or religious building to which you are affiliated.

The Old Town Hall

Bedford Borough Council has its own approved venue, the Old Town Hall which holds up to 80 people (including all guests, two registrars, two parties to be married and any photographers). Multiple weddings may be held each day. The Old Town Hall can host ceremonies every day of the year, except for Christmas Day, Boxing Day, or New Year's Day.

Statutory fee ceremony at Bedford register office

A statutory fee marriage or civil partnership can be arranged for the two parties to be married or form a civil partnership and two witnesses only. These ceremonies are conducted in Bedford Register Office, an active office normally used for our birth, death, notice of marriage or civil partnership appointments. These are held on selected Monday mornings.


Approved premises

Civil weddings or partnership ceremonies can take place in specially licensed venues. Please see our list of licensed venues for ceremonies for more information and contact details.

Church or religious building

If you and your partner decide to be married in a church belonging to the Church of England then you should contact the vicar of that church who can advise you of the process.

If you are having your ceremony in a religious building, excluding a Church of England, you must still give Notice. Our Registrars will be glad to give you help and advice on this matter.

At some religious venues you may need to book a Registrar to attend the ceremony. The venue should be able to advise, but if in doubt email us

On this page