Bedford Cemetery was opened in 1855 and continues to be used for second interments and burial of cremated remains. The cemetery is laid out in traditional Victorian style with a particularly attractive Victorian burial chapel. There are many interesting mature trees which stand in the thriving wildlife areas throughout the Cemetery.
Burial registers for Foster Hill Road cemetery
The Burial Registers for Foster Hill Road Cemetery are now kept at Norse Road Cemetery. Access can be made available to the Registers by prior appointment on 01234 718150.
The Friends of Bedford Cemetery
Foster Hill Road Cemetery has an active "Friends group" namely: The Friends of Bedford Cemetery.
They are a charity organisation who promote the cultural, historic and environmental aspects of the Cemetery. In 2016 they were successfully awarded a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund to transform the Chapel into a visitors centre.
For further information regarding the Friends please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We published the Wildlife of Bedford Cemetery (Foster Hill Road) trail guide on behalf of the Friends.