Skip to main content

Students benefits

Most full-time students are excluded from claiming Housing Benefit. If you are a full-time student, you can only claim if you are:

  • looking after a child or young person
  • aged 60 or over
  • disabled
  • receiving Income Support or Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • aged under 19 in further education (ie A-Levels/ NVQs) (but not higher education)
  • waiting to return to your course after illness or after having had to care for someone

All part-time students can claim Housing Benefit. Details and proof of your grant, parent contributions and other income are needed to work out what benefit to which you may be entitled.

Students are normally exempt from the payment of Council Tax and therefore will not be entitled to Council Tax Support.