Skip to main content

MyBenefits has changed - we have introduced more online options for applying for and managing your benefit claims using the links below. If you previously had a MyBenefits account, these changes mean that for the majority of online services, you no longer need an account. However, if you want to see your Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit entitlements, you simply need to sign up for an online Council Tax account where you will see all the details of how your claim has been assessed.

COVID-19 - if you are experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, please go to our financial help for residents page.  

We now have a range of online options for making and maintaining your benefit claim, as well as a secure and direct way to provide documentary evidence online.  

Make a claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support 

To make a new claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support you will need an email address so that we can communicate with you about your claim. If you do not have an email address you can still make a claim but we will have to communicate with you by letter. 

If you start a claim and need to pause, you can save it (for up to 14 days) and come back to it later (as long as you have an email address). When you save the part completed claim, we will send you an email with an online key (a code) which you will need when you go back to it. You may need to check your spam/junk folders for this email. 

You can also apply for an additional benefit if you already have a claim for Council Tax Support but now need to claim help for your rent, or if you already have a claim for Housing Benefit and need help with paying your Council Tax. For example:

  • you have reached pension age, your Universal Credit is ending and you want to claim Housing Benefit in addition to your Council Tax Support
  • your income has dropped and you might now be entitled to Council Tax Support in addition to your Housing Benefit
  • you are already entitled to Housing Benefit but have now become liable for Council Tax and need help paying your bill

You will need to provide your claim reference for the benefit you already receive.    

Make a claim 

Tell us about a change in your circumstances 

If you are moving within or out of the borough you need to let us know. 

Tell us about a change of address

If you are reporting a death you should use the 'tell us once service'.

If anything else changes, for example a change in your income, savings or capital, if someone moves in or out of your home or if your rent changes, please let us know. 

Tell us about any other change in your circumstances 

My benefit entitlement 

When your circumstances change your benefit entitlement may also change, and if it does we will send you an updated entitlement letter. If you register for updates on your benefit entitlement we will email to tell you that there are new letters to view online and how to access them. These letters are important because they explain the details of the decision and your rights to appeal.  

Register for updates on your benefit entitlement

You can also see the most up to date online version of your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support entitlement by registering for an online Council Tax account. 

Register for an online Council Tax account  

View your claim letters

You can register to get email notification when a new Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support letter is ready for you to view. Once registered you can also view your claim letters. 

Register or view your claim letters 

Upload a document or evidence online 

If we have asked you for more documentary evidence in support of your claim, you can now upload it quickly and easily online. As well as the document file you will need your claim reference number which you can find in your entitlement letter.  

Upload a document online 

If you have an enquiry about your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support claim, you can email Customer Services at or phone 01234 718097.