Skip to main content

How benefit is paid

Council Tax benefit

This will be paid direct to your Council Tax account reducing the amount of your Council Tax bill that you have to pay.

Housing Benefit

Since the introduction of Local Housing Allowance on 7 April 2008 Housing Benefit must be paid direct to the tenant. This can be in the form of a crossed cheque or a BACS transfer directly into your bank or building society account.

If you do not have a bank or building society account you will need to open one. We are only able to pay your first two Housing Benefit payments as cheques. In special circumstance you can apply for the Housing Benefit to be paid to the landlord.

If your claim started before April 2008 then you have the additional option of Housing Benefit being paid directly to your landlord.

Find out how to open a basic bank account (PDF).

Find out more about the Local Housing Allowance.