Universal credit: full service now available in Bedford
Universal Credit has replaced new claims for housing benefit for most working age people in Bedford Borough unless you are:
- at State Pension age (find out when you are at State Pension age)
- living in a NN29 postcode area (Podington); or PE (Staploe and Little Barford)
- you have three, or more children living in your household
- you live in 'supported exemption accommodation'. This generally a hostel or sheltered accommodation
If you are already claiming Housing Benefit, you will remain on that benefit until your circumstances change, but if you are making a new claim, you will now have to claim Universal Credit.
Help you can receive
The amount of help you receive will depend on:
- The amount of rent and/or Council Tax you pay
- Whether anyone else (such as lodgers or grown-up children) lives with you
- The amount of money you have coming in each week
- The amount the Government says you need to live on
- Any savings of other assets eg an interest in another property
Please note that not everyone on a low income will qualify for help and special rules apply to people who are not British nationals.
You will need to complete an application form to apply for help and provide original documents to confirm your income, savings and rent.