Skip to main content

Extended payments

If your entitlement to Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support ends because you start work or increase your hours or pay, you may be entitled to an extended payment of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support for four weeks after your Jobseeker's Allowance, Incapacity benefit, Employment and Support Allowance or Income Support stops.

If you qualify, you will receive the same amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support as you did before you started work or changed hours.

You qualify for an extended payment if:

  • You or your partner started work or self employment and you expect this to last for five weeks or more or
  • You or your partner increased your hours of work or wages


  • You or your partner have been entitled, continuously, for 26 weeks, Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance (income based), Incapacity Benefit, Employment and Support Allowance or Severe Disablement Allowance


  • You or your partner remain liable for rent and/or council tax at the same or new address.