The Government's Department for Work and Pensions is responsible for investigating all reports of Benefit Fraud. This includes Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Disability Benefits and Housing Benefit.
The Council is not able to investigate suspected Housing Benefit fraud but will report any suspicions of fraud to the Department for Work and Pensions.
How to report benefit fraud
You can report suspected benefit fraud online here:
Contact the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 440. Your call is free and confidential you do not have to give your name or address. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.
PO Box 224
Examples of benefit fraud
There are many different kinds of benefit fraud including the following:
- Not declaring work whilst claiming
- Not declaring ownership of a property
- Not declaring savings or income
- Living with a partner who is not declared on the claim
- Not living at the address where the benefits are claimed for
- Falsely claim that rent is being paid for a property
If you suspect someone is committing some form of benefit fraud please report it. You do not have to give your name when you report suspected fraud.
Other types of Fraud
The Council investigates other types of fraud such as;