Please note that from 1st October 2013, the Travel Aid
scheme will no longer be operated in partnership with Central
Bedfordshire Council. From this date, Bedford Residents will
continue to pay £1 for a 28 day pass. Central Bedfordshire
residents will pay £5 for a 28 day pass. New forms are being
produced and will be available at Jobcentres from 1st
Full details of the Bedford Borough Travel Aid scheme
are given below.
You can get a Travel Aid pass if you live in
- you are in receipt of income based Jobseeker's Allowance
- you are in receipt of income based Employment and Support
Allowance (ESA) or
- you are a lone parent in receipt of Income Support,
- you are a 16 or 17 year old unemployed school leaver registered
with Jobs Hub.
How much does it cost?
A Bedford Borough Travel Aid pass costs £1.00 and is valid for
28 days. During that time, you can travel on most, buses in the
Bedford Borough area at half the adult single fare (rounded up to
the nearest 5p). Simply show your pass to the driver when buying
When can I use it?
Your Travel Aid pass is valid after 0900 on Mondays to
Fridays and on all day Saturdays and Sundays. You can use it on
most local buses but not express coaches, community transport,
tours or excursions. You can also travel on buses that
go outside this area providing your journey starts or finishes in
Bedford or Central Bedfordshire. Travel Aid can only be used
on the section of the Stagecoach X5 service between Cambridge and
Milton Keynes and is only valid for journeys starting or finishing
in Bedford Borough. See below for details.
How do I obtain a pass?
Step 1 - Fill in the application form obtained
from your local Job Centre Plus (or Jobs Hub).
Job Centre Plus (or Jobs Hub) must stamp your
application. They will not accept applications for stamping
unless all of the personal details are completed in
You must enter the date on which you want the Travel Aid pass to
be valid - this must be no more than 7 days after the date on which
you take the application form to be stamped.
Step 2 - Take the completed application form to
the Job Centre Plus (or Jobs Hub) for stamping.
The Job Centre Plus (or Jobs Hub) decide whether or not you are
eligible for a Travel Aid pass, based on the type of benefit you
receive. Bedford Borough Council cannot enter in to any
correspondence on the question of your eligibility.
Step 3 - Take your stamped application for to
the issuing point
For Bedford Borough Council residents, the issuing point is:
The Travel and Tourism Centre, Bedford Bus Station.
You will need to pay £1 for each 28 day period of
validity. If you have not held a Travel Aid pass before, you
will also need to bring a passport sized photograph of
yourself so that you can be provided with a photocard.
How do I renew my pass?
When your pass expires, at the end of the 28 day period, simply
fill in another application form and repeat steps 1 to 3 above.
You can renew your Travel Aid pass up to 7 days before the
old pass expires.
Conditions of use
(1) When Job Centre Plus (or Jobs Hub) determine whether or not
you are eligible to hold a Travel Aid pass, their decision is final
and no correspondence shall be entered in to.
(2) Travel Aid passes are valid for use on most local bus
services in Bedford Borough. Bus companies may restrict the use of
Travel Aid passes beyond a certain distance - If in doubt, contact
the bus company before travelling.
Travel Aid passes are NOT accepted on the
- Green Line
- National Express
- Stagecoach service 99 (Milton Keynes - Luton Airport Rail
- Stagecoach X5 service beyond Milton Keynes (the section
of Route between Milton Keynes Rail Station and Oxford)
- Other Express coach services
- Community transport services such as The
- Tours or excursions
(3) Your journey must start or finish in Bedford Borough.
(4) A valid photocard and a Travel Aid pass bearing the number
on the photocard must be presented together to obtain the
concession stated in this scheme.
(5) Travel Aid passes are NOT
transferable. They can only be used by the card holder.
(6) The Travel Aid pass and photocard remain the property of the
issuing council and must be shown when buying a ticket and at any
other time on demand.
(7) The bus driver (or other company official) has the right to
question the holder's entitlement in suspicious or doubtful
circumstances and may retain the Travel Aid pass and photocard for
verification by the issuing council.
(8) Bedford Borough Council reserve the right to require a new
photograph to be taken if the appearance of the holder changes
(9) Holders of a Travel Aid pass are subject to all regulations
concerning the carriage of passengers and the standard conditions
of the operators.
(10) No refunds will be considered.
(11) Neither Job Centre Plus (or Jobs Hub) nor the issuing
councils will tolerate physical or verbal abuse of their
staff. Every effort will be made to prosecute those people
who commit acts of assault, aggression or verbal/physical abuse on
members of staff. Persons committing such behaviour will lose their
entitlement to a Travel Aid pass as well as other benefits.
The Bedford Borough Travel Aid is administered by Bedford