Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Our Services A - Z :

You are here: Home Page > Transport and Streets > Public Transport > Bus Pass

Bus Pass

Residents who are pension-age and residents with certain disabilities qualify for a national concessionary bus pass.  The pass allows free off-peak travel on most local bus services anywhere in England.  Bedford Borough pass holders can also travel for a fare of £1.00 on most peak-time bus services within the Borough.


Who is entitled to a pass?

You are entitled to a travel pass if you are a permanent resident in the Bedford Borough area and are entitled by age or have an eligible disability (under the Transport Act 2000).


How do I apply for a pass?

You will need to complete an application form and provide proof you live in Bedford Borough and are entitle to a pass. The passes will be produced by an external manufacturer and will usually be posted direct to your home address.  Please allow up to three weeks from the date you apply to receive your pass.

You can complete an online application by clicking on one of the following links:

Older Person's Application Form

Disabled Person's Application Form

You can pick up a paper application form from the Customer Service Centre and Borough Hall Reception or request one by post.

What documents do I need to provide to prove my entitlement to a pass?
You will need to provide documents proving that you are a permanent resident of Bedford Borough and that you are eligible by age or have an eligible disability.  The documents should be recent and show your full name and address, they can be either original documents or photocopies. The types of documents that can be accepted may change from time to time; please see the current application form for details.

Examples of the documents that can be accepted include;

For proof of age:
- Birth certificate
- Passport
- Driving Licence
- Pension Letter

For proof of address:
- State retirement pension letter
- Utility bill (less than 4 months old) e.g. Gas, electric or telephone
- Council tax or benefit letter
- Driving license

For proof of an eligible disability
- A Blue Badge (copy of both sides showing serial number and expiry date)
- Proof that you currently receive the HIGHER rate MOBILITY component of Disability Living  Allowance or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) of 8 points or more for "Moving Around" or "Communicating Verbally".
- Proof that you receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS) or payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Tariff 1-8

If you are not in receipt of any of the above benefits or a blue badge, please speak to a member of staff who can advise you.

Do I need to provide a photo?
Yes, you will also need to provide a passport quality and size colour photograph of yourself (exactly 35mm x 45mm). It should be a full face view (no hat or sunglasses), clear and sharp, not too light or dark with your face in the centre of the image, have been taken within the past year and against a cream background.

Without a suitable photograph your pass cannot be produced. Old, poor quality snap shots are not suitable and cannot be used.

What does the pass allow?
The pass entitles you to free off-peak local bus travel anywhere in England (not Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland).  That is journeys starting between 9.30am and 11pm on weekdays and at any time on weekends and bank holidays.

Does Bedford Borough Council offer any extra concessions?

Yes, Until 31 January 2017 Bedford Borough Council's concessionary travel pass holders are allowed to travel free at anytime within the Borough's area.  The Scheme is changing from 1 February 2017 when a £1.00 fare will be introduced for most peak time travel.

What is a ‘local’ bus?
There is a legal definition, but in everyday terms it means the bus services used by the general public running in towns and cities or linking nearby towns with one another or running between towns and the villages around them. Community bus services like the Flittabus, Ivel Sprinter, Road Runner, Villager and Whitbread Wanderbus are included. If in doubt, check with the operator of the service.


Local Bus routes operated in the Bedford Borough area include:

Bedford Park & Ride

East Beds, Community Bus Limited (Ivel Sprinter)


Grant Palmer



The Villager

Whitbread Wanderer


Travelling by Train

Govia Thameslink Railway (Thameslink and Great Northern) and London Midland may allow you to use your bus pass to obtain a discount - please check directly with the train operator.

What do I do if my circumstances change?
If you move address you must notify Bedford Borough Council in writing, if you do not, you will not receive a new pass when yours has expired. If you move out of the Bedford Borough area you should return your pass to the Council and make an application to your new local authority.

Lost, damaged or stolen travel passes

Renewing your pass


Don't Miss

Transport and Street

From parking to public transport, roads, pavements, parking and much more, this section tells you everything you need to know about transport and streets in the borough of Bedford.


Stay Connected
Sign up for email alerts!