Level of difficulty:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 55 minutes
450g pre-made shortcrust pastry
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp granulated sugar
For the savoury filling:
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp lard
225g minced pork
1 tsp dried sage
1 cooking apples
50g cooked peas
salt and fresh ground black pepper
For the sweet filling:
2 dessert apples
50g Dates, stoned and chopped
grated rind of 1 orange
2 tbsp caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
2. To make the savoury filling, place the chopped
onion and lard in a frying pan over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes,
until the onion is soft and golden.
3. Stir in the pork and sage and cook gently for 5
minutes, stirring often.
4. Peel, core and chop the apple and add it to the
pork mixture. Cook for a further 5 minutes, then stir in the peas,
season to taste and leave to cool.
5. To make the sweet filling, peel and chop the
apples, then place in a mixing bowl and stir in the chopped dates,
orange rind, sultanas and sugar.
6. Roll out the pastry to about 5mm thick and cut out
two circles, 25cm in diameter.
7. Re-roll the trimmings and cut out two thick 12.5 x
1cm strips of pastry. Brush the long edges of each strip with a
little beaten egg, and stand one strip, on its long side, from the
edge to the centre of each circle, to form a wall. Make the strip
stand up by pressing the bottom edge quite firmly onto the circle.
Brush the edges of the circles all the way around with beaten
8. On one side of each pastry wall put half of the
savoury filling, and on the other side put half of the sweet
9. Fold the other half of each pastry circle over the
filling to form a pasty shape, and press the centre lightly so that
the dividing strip sticks to the top.
10. Pinch the edges firmly together, brush each
clanger with the rest of the beaten egg and sprinkle with
11. Bake the clangers in the preheated oven for 15
minutes, then lower the heat to 190°C/gas 5 and bake for a further
25 minutes. Serve hot.