Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Our Services A - Z :

You are here: Home Page > Housing > Housing Advice & Options

Housing Associations and Co-ops

Housing Association Tenants Rights

Tenants of Registered Social Landlords have certain rights, e.g. a right to a written tenancy agreement, as well as responsibilities e.g. to pay rent on time.   

Listed below is a selection that may be of use:

Your rights as a housing association tenant - Your rights and responsibilities as a housing association tenant.

Moving home - Help in moving. Getting money to help you get involved

Our Community Training and Enabling (CTE) grants programme could help you and your residents. Complaining about a housing association - This leaflet is mainly for: tenants and leaseholders of housing associations registered with the Housing Corporation; other people who want to complain about a housing association.

The Active Tenants Handbook - Having a nice place to live is not just about the quality of your home but also about the neighbourhood, the surroundings, and the services and facilities available locally. Communities in control: options for residents (At a glance guide 2) - Options for community housing and community training and enabling policy.

A Charter for housing association applicants and residents - The Residents Charter sets out what housing association applicants and residents can expect from their housing association landlords. It replaces the eight separate Residents Charters issued in 1998 and 1999.

Tenant Consumer Panel - The Tenant Consumer Panel is an advisory Body to the Housing Corporation. It looks at - and comments on - policies affecting tenants.

Tenant Inspectors - Our pool of Tenant Inspectors work with our inspection teams to help bring a tenant perspective to our inspections. Together with the staff, tenants and associations involved in our pathfinder inspections we have evaluated our experience of involving tenant inspectors and refined our approach.


Right to Buy

The Right to Buy scheme helps social tenants in England to buy their council home at a discount.  Bedford Borough Council transferred its housing stock to bpha in 1990 and so does not have any council tenants that this scheme would be applicable to.  However, you can apply for Right to Buy if you’ve been a public sector tenant for five years (it doesn’t have to be five years in a row). You are a public sector tenant if you have lived in properties provided by a housing association, the armed services or a public body like an NHS trust.

You can make a ‘joint application’ to buy your home through Right to Buy with someone who shares the tenancy with you or with members of your family. They must have lived with you for the past 12 months.


You can’t buy through the scheme if:

·        the property isn't your main home

·        the property isn't self-contained (has a shared kitchen or bathroom)

·        there's a court order saying you must leave your home

·        you're an 'undischarged bankrupt'

·        you're being declared bankrupt

·        you owe money to creditors


For more information on Right to Buy click here.

Don't Miss


This section provides helpful housing advice for people interested in and currently living in the borough. You can find information on private and social housing, related support services and homelessness.


Stay Connected
Sign up for email alerts!