Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Our Services A - Z :

What we Do


We can offer guidance on the Statutory Assessment process and provide information about the services that can support you. Decisions about whether a young person matches the guidance for statutory assessment are made by the Bedford Borough SEND Panel. (Who will make the decision?)

If a statutory assessment is agreed, we gather specific information from schools, professionals involved with the pupil, health and social care as well as information and views from the parents or carers. All this is done within the statutory time frame as laid out in the SEN Code of Practice

If a statutory assessment is not agreed we will contact the parents to explain the reasons why and invite them to attend a meeting to discuss the decision and a way forward for their child.  They can also contact the Parent Partnership Service for advice and or the conciliation service (KIDS)

Click the picture below to enlarge:



We keep parents or carers informed regularly during the process. When the statutory Assessment process has been completed we consider the information and decide if a Statement of Special Educational Needs is to be made or whether the pupils needs can be met through the schools own resources in which case a note in lieu of a statement would be produced.

After a statement has been finalised we will monitor the pupil’s progress towards meeting the objectives outlined in the statement through regular review. A review meeting will be held every 6 months until the pupil reaches statutory school age. Thereafter, their statement will be reviewed every 12 months. 

The Annual Review  will be arranged by the school the school will prepare a report (AR1) which they will send to us together with any reports provided by the professionals involved with the pupil.  We will then send a letter to the parents/carers and professionals involved with the pupil to outline our recommendations about whether the statement should continue and whether any amendments are required.  If your child is in year 3 or 7 they will be due to transfer to middle or upper school next September and their Annual Review (a Phase Transfer Review) may need to be held earlier, please download a Phase Transfer Leaflet for more details.

What is a note in lieu? See Parent Partnership leaflet.

Where a parent or carer does not agree with the assessment or a decision made by the Local Authority, we will work with the parent or carer to find a solution. We encourage parents to seek support from the Parent Partnership service and we also have access to KIDS, an independent mediation service.

Parents or carers can contact us at any time.


Transition for 14 to 25 year olds with Special Educational Needs

At the Annual Review in Year 9 the school and the SEND Officers from our team will help you create a Transition Plan.  The Transition Plan will be about what your son or daughter would like to do now and in the future, how this will be achieved and who will help you.  Every year their Transition Plan will be reviewed and updated. The Transition Plan will take the form of a Multi Agency Assessment Tool (MAAT)

The Section 139A assessment, which is a statutory requirement for all young people who have a Statement of Special Educational Needs, will be completed in the year that the young person leaves school. This will now be incorporated in the MAAT.  Please download the parental contribution to the MAAT form.

For details of further education colleges please see ‘Links’ page


Elective Home Education:

Parents and carers have a legal responsibility under the 1996 Education Act to make sure that their children receive an education. They may choose to educate their children at home rather than at school. The law makes the Local Authority (in our case Bedford Borough Council) responsible for ensuring the education given to children at home is suitable.

Here are some of the way our Elective Home Education team can support parents or carers if they are considering home education as an option:

  • General advice such as curriculum, teaching strategies, information on resources such as web sites and the library service as well as support groups
  • Particular advice on contacts around issues of special educational needs e.g. Parent Partnership contacts, information on requesting an assessment of needs, careers and counselling contacts
  • Additional advice for contacting other groups or bodies about particular activities/learning sessions e.g. Summer College and Out of School programmes;
  • Reports may be provided to support parental appeals e.g. Admissions or College entry;
  • Personal or telephone contact to discuss issues at any time

Government guidelines for Local Authorities on Elective Home Education can be accessed from the icon below. The guidelines set out the legislative position and the roles and responsibilities of Local Authorities and parents in relation to children who are educated at home. Click the icon below:-


book cover


View the Elective Home Education policy


Click on the icon below to access a wealth of information concerning Elective Home Education on the dept for Educations website at the following URL:



Please visit the FAQ’s section on Elective Home Education for more information.

Don't Miss

Education and Learning

Raising the level of academic achievement is a top priority for the council. We will ensure the effective delivery of our services so we can improve the life chances for children and young people. Check out this section to find out about Learning centres, schools, special education needs and more.