Bedford Borough SACRE
Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (SACRE)
Every Local Authority (LA) is required by law to have a SACRE.
Its origins go back to the Education Act of 1944, but the Education
Reform Act 1988 and the Education Act 1966 strengthened its place
in an LA.
The responsibilities of SACRE are:
* to provide advice to the LA on all aspects of its provision for
RE in its schools (this does not include Voluntary Aided
* to decide whether the LA's Agreed Syllabus for RE needs to be
reviewed and to require the LEA does so;
* to provide advice to the LA on Collective Worship in its schools
(this does not include Voluntary Aided or Voluntary Controlled
* to consider any requests from Head teachers to hold Collective
Worship that is not of a broadly Christian character;
* to offer advice particularly on methods of teaching, the choice
of resources and the provision of training for teachers.
The aims of religious education (sub section one)
Religious education in schools celebrates the diversity of
religious and human experience. It encourages pupils to grow with
the knowledge, skills, sensitivity and understanding to develop as
confident and productive members of their local multi-faith
community and the world.
Consequently RE in our schools should help pupils and students
* acquire and develop knowledge and understanding of Christianity
and the other principal religions represented in Great
* develop an understanding of the influence of beliefs, values and
traditions on individuals, communities, societies and
* develop the ability to make reasoned and informed judgements
about religious and moral issues, with reference to the teachings
of the principal religions represented in Great Britain;
* enhance their spiritual, moral, social and cultural
* develop a positive attitude towards other people respecting their
right to hold different beliefs from their own, and towards living
in a society of diverse religions.
Membership of SACRE
For more information please contact:
Clerk to the Bedford Borough SACRE
Phone: 01234 228905
Adviser to the SACRE
Phone: 01234 276585