Bedford Training and Assessment Centre (BTAC)
Go to Qualifications
offered by BTAC
BTAC Annual Celebration Evening - for those learners who have
completed a qualification with us
Become a Satellite
Bedford Borough Council has its own Training and
Assessment Centre (BTAC), offering training advice and courses to
both those working in the childcare profession and those wishing to
begin a career in childcare. BTAC is accredited to deliver
Early Years, Playwork, Teaching Assistant and Health and Social
Care qualifications at Level 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, as well as QCF
Assessor and Internal Verifier qualifications.
BTAC Bedford Training and
BTAC was set up in the autumn of 2003, and was managed
by the Early Years and Extended Services team within Bedford
Borough. It is now managed within the Workforce Development
Team. Its main aim is to provide high quality training, that
will enable those working directly with young children to develop
appropriate skills and qualifications, in a way that meets the
diverse needs of an ever-changing workforce.
BTAC is committed to working in partnership with
other professionals and organisations to achieve this
BTAC is registered with the Awarding Body CACHE (Council
for Awards in Care, Health and Education). Grade 1
awards have been achieved from CACHE every time the centre has been
inspected for quality.
BTAC learners can begin training at any time of the year.
BTAC caters for each learner as an individual, putting in place
extra support when required. Each learner is allocated an
assessor who works with them on a 1:1 basis.
- Guidance and advice to individuals and employers on careers,
training and qualifications.
- A comprehensive annual training programme.
- QCF's and vocationally related qualifications.
- Training and courses for continuous professional
- Advice on the availability of financial support.
- A safe learning environment.
- Equality of opportunity.
- A quality assurance procedure, including an appeals and
- Subsidised costs and registration of candidates with the
Awarding Body CACHE.
- Access to a training resource library.
- An annual celebration evening, to recognise and celebrate the
achievements of learners completing a qualification with BTAC
Please click here for more information on this years Celebration
Requirements for Level 3 Early Years Educator
You can now hold Functional Skills, GCSE or
O'Level maths and English at grade A-C or CSE grade 1, on
completion to be included in your setting's level 3 staff
Qualifications delivered by BTAC
These qualifications are designed to help learners build the
knowledge and skills needed when working with children and young
people from birth to 19 years of age. They cover a diverse
range of job roles and occupational areas working in children’s
environments including early years, supporting learning and
teaching in schools and social care.
Course details: Delivery of our
qualifications will be by E-Portfolio supported by an
assessor. The majority of these qualifications consist of 4 -
5 compulsory workshops, projects, assignments, independent research
and assessor observations in your workplace.
Duration 9 – 12 months at Level 2, 15 - 18 months at Level 3 and
Please refer to your preferred choice of qualification listed
below for further details.
Dates of Course
Level 1 Award in an Introduction to Early Years Settings
September, 17 November 2016, 25 January, 25 April 2017
Certificate in an Introduction to Early Years Education & Care
November, 1 December
April, 17 May,
Diploma for the Early Years Workforce (Early Years Educator)
Level 3 Award
in Supporting Children and Young People's Speech, Language and
19 September & 10 October 2016, 20 January & 6 February
Certificate for the Early Years Advanced Practitioner
Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and
Young People's Services (QCF)
Application Form - NVQhelp@Bedford.gov.uk
How to Pay - click
Health and Social Care
Food Safety and Hygiene
Assessing and Assuring the Quality of Assessment
For further information, contact the BTAC office on 01234 228847
email us by clicking here.
Become a Satellite Centre!
Would your setting like to join BTAC as a Satellite
You will need:
- A qualified workplace assessor or a practitioner who would be
willing to train as an assessor.
- Practitioners who are willing to undertake their Level 2
- Allow the assessor time within the working day to undertake the
assessment of candidates.
- Release the assessor from work one day per month to attend
Quality Circle Meetings.
BTAC will provide:
- CACHE log books and standards for the candidate and the
- Course text books on loan for both candidates and assessor
- Continuous Professional Development Training with CACHE
- Access to a training resource library
- Internal Verification of portfolios
- External Verification with CACHE
- Support and Mentoring.
For further information please contact the office on 01234
228847 or email
us by clicking here.
Careers in Childcare