Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Our Services A - Z :

You are here: Home Page > Community and Living > Community Safety > Community Safety > Anti-Social Behaviour

Anti-Social Behaviour

Community Safety Banner


What is Anti-Social Behaviour?

Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) covers a wide range of unacceptable activity that causes harm to an individual, to their community or to their environment. This could be an action by someone else that leaves you feeling alarmed, harassed or distressed. It also includes fear of crime or concern for public safety, public disorder or public nuisance.

Examples of Anti-Social Behaviour include:

  • Nuisance, rowdy or inconsiderate neighbours
  • Vandalism, graffiti and fly-posting
  • Drinking alcohol in a public place
  • Environmental damage including littering, dumping of rubbish and abandonment of cars
  • Prostitution related activity
  • Begging and vagrancy
  • Fireworks misuse
  • Inconsiderate or inappropriate use of vehicles
  • Intimidating gatherings of young people
  • Uncontrolled Animals
  • Noise nuisance


How to Report ASB

If you are experiencing problems with ASB, have any concerns about it, or other community safety issues, you can report it to Bedford Borough Council using the Report it form or by contacting the relevant Council department listed below, you can also report ASB to the police.

If you live in rented accommodation you may also be able to access help and support by contacting your landlord or housing association.


Contacting the Council

Bedford Borough Council can offer assistance with lots of different types of ASB which have an impact on the environment that you live in such as: vandalism, graffiti, fly-posting, and littering, illegal dumping of rubbish, dog fowling, and abandonment of cars. They may also be able to help with neighbour disputes involving an activity that is damaging to health or a nuisance. This is known as a statutory Nuisance.

This could include:

  • Noise (including loud music and barking dogs)
  • Artificial light (except street lamps)
  • Dust, steam, smell or insects from business premises
  • Smoke, fumes or gases
  • A build-up of rubbish that could harm health


Reports of anti-social behaviour can be sent to Bedford Borough Council using the 'Report it form' on our website or by contacting the relevant department as detailed below.


Rubbish and Recycling  
  • Litter
01234 267422
  • Fly tipping
01234 267422
  • Graffiti removal
01234 267422
  • Drugs Paraphernalia
01234 267422
01234 267422
Environmental Health  
01234 718099
01234 267422
01234 267422
01234 267422
01234 267422
01234 267422
01234 267422
01234 267422
01234 267422
Council Community Safety Team 01234 276037


Contacting the Police

You should call the police if the offender:

  • is violent, threatening or abusive;
  • is harassing you particularly if the harassment is sexual, or because of your sexuality, religion or ethnic background;
  • is breaching the peace (being disorderly in the street or making a lot of noise)
  • is driving vehicles dangerously or inappropriately;
  • is making you feel alarmed, harassed or distressed by taking part in prostitution, begging or sleeping rough;
  • is causing nuisance by street drinking or committing an offence by drinking in an alcohol-free zone;
  • is breaking the law in any other way
  • is at serious risk of causing harm to themselves or others or - if you suspect this.


Call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger, or if you think there is a crime in progress.

Call 101 to contact the police if the incident is not an emergency.

You can contact your local neighbourhood policing team directly to report anti-social behaviour.


Who Can Help?

Bedford Borough Council will work closely with Partners to offer advice and support to local victims of Anti-Social Behaviour.

If you are a tenant of a Registered Social Landlord (RSL) please remember that in relation to nuisance neighbour issues your first point of call should be your local housing estate officer.

If you feel that your complaint has not been followed up appropriately by your landlord, Bedford Borough Council can contact your RSL for feedback.

Links to local information and advice:


ASB Advice Leaflet

This leaflet is available to download.


What are the possible remedies available to the Community Safety Partnership in relation to ASB?

Below are a few examples of the remedies or actions that members of the Community Safety Partnership may be able to take or put in place in relation ASB.


  • Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABCs, ASBOs, Injunctions)
  • Environmental Improvements such as fencing and gating
  • Section 30 Dispersal Orders
  • Designated Public Place Orders
  • Parenting Support Sessions
  • Mediation
  • Environmental Health Action
  • Restorative Justice Interventions
  • Premises Closure Notices for ASB


Other Partners and Agencies may also use the following tools to tackle ASB problems:


  • Enforcement of tenancy conditions – Landlords
  • Demoted Tenancy Orders – Landlords
  • Injunctions – Landlords
  • Closure of Premises for Class A Drugs – Landlords working with the Police
  • Child Safety Orders – Bedford Borough Council (Children, Schools and Families)
  • Parenting Orders – Bedford Borough Council (Youth Offending Team or Children, Schools and  Families).


Please remember that the actions or remedies taken must be appropriate to the problem identified and not all of the above actions may be suitable every time.


What can I expect when making a report of ASB?

The complainant’s co-operation is critical to success in tackling ASB and in some cases complainants may need to go to court as witnesses. Bedford Borough Council Officers and local Police Officers can help complainants to develop their capacity to act as a witness by building their understanding and confidence from the earliest stages of a complaint.

The Partnership aims to:

  • Quickly and formally acknowledge every report of anti social behaviour
  • Investigate reports at the earliest possible time after receipt of the complaint form and conduct investigations with all reasonable speed
  • Complete a risk assessment for your case
  • Where appropriate provide complainants with carefully explained and easy to complete diary sheets
  • Check completed diary sheets to make sure entries are competed correctly
  • When needed give on-going support to complainants and witnesses
  • Agree a programme to keep in contact with the complainant and where appropriate provide feedback on the progress of the investigation (within data protection restrictions)
  • Consider any special needs to witnesses such as translators and extra security measures on their property
  • Refer them to other specialist agencies who may be able to provide further assistance and support i.e. Victim Support and the Bobby Van Scheme
  • Assist in providing transport to and from court if necessary and stay with them throughout their involvement at court if they wish
  • Formally advise complainants when it has been decided that no further action will be taken and the case has been closed.


How can I find out about what’s going on in my area?

Each Safer Neighbourhood area holds a Community Safety Forum which discusses and sets priorities for tackling local community safety and ASB issues. Feedback about recent activity carried out in your local area will be provided at the forum.

Alternatively please contact the Council’s Anti Social Behaviour Co-ordinator on 01234 276037 or communitysafety@bedford.gov.uk


Right of Complaint to Community Safety Partnership (CSP)

If you feel that your ASB complaint has not be dealt with appropriately please contact 01234 718455.






Stay Connected
Sign up for email alerts!