Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

 
Our Services A - Z :
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
 
 

You are here: Home Page > Business > Business Rates > Charitable Rate Relief

Charitable Rate Relief

Section 43 (5) and (6) of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 provides that where a non-domestic property is occupied by a charity (or trustees for a charity), and is used wholly or mainly for charitable purposes, the charity or trustees are entitled to mandatory rate relief of 80% of the full rate bill or of the transitional bill where the transitional arrangements apply.  The Council has discretion to remit all or part of the remaining 20% of the charity's bill on such a property.

Where a charity (or the trustees for a charity) is liable to pay empty property rates on an unoccupied non-domestic property, rate relief can only be considered if it appears that, when next in use, the property will be wholly or mainly used for charitable purposes (whether of that charity or of that and other charities).  

 

Community Amateur Sports Clubs

Section 64 of the Local Government Act 2003 provides that from 1st April 2004 clubs registered with the Inland Revenue Sports Club Unit as Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) are entitled to the same rate relief as charities.    CASCs are, therefore, entitled to mandatory rate relief of 80% and the Council has discretion to remit all or part of the remaining 20%.

 

Other Non Profit Making Organisations


Section 47 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 provides a discretionary power for the Council to grant rate relief in respect of a non-domestic property occupied by certain bodies not established or conducted for profit.  The Council's discretionary rate relief policy is available to download by clicking on the link below

 

To download details of the Discretionary Rate Relief Scheme from 1 April 2012, click here

 

To download a Charitable Relief Application Form, click here

 

An application may be submitted electronically by clicking here. Electronic copies of supporting documents to accompany an application should be emailed to localtax@bedford.gov.uk or sent by post to Local Taxation, Borough Hall Cauldwell Street Bedford MK42 9AP 

Don't Miss

Bedford Map

The Business section gives you advice and help on what you need to know about owning and running a business in the borough. Information includes business rates, health and safety, street trading licences and more.

Related Links